According to the International Data Corporation (IDC), more consumers in the United States will access the Internet on mobile devices than computers by 2015. Smartphones and tablets, like the iPad, are making it easier than ever for consumers to access their favorite websites. Still, most websites are not optimized for mobile access. In fact, it has been estimated that only 21 percent of all websites have been optimized for mobile access. Should the other 79 percent consider mobile website optimization as well?
To determine the need for optimization, website owners should compare their mobile conversion rates to that of their other traffic. If conversion rates are much lower for mobile users than traditional Internet users, a website’s lack of optimization might be costing the website money. People struggle to find the information they need on sites that are not optimized for their device.
Providing mobile users with content optimized for their devices means they are more likely to respond to your business. Optimizing content for mobile devices also helps to push your site up the rankings in mobile search engines.
The amount of time users spend on a website can also be very telling. If mobile users browse regular websites and leave quickly and never return, the website could probably benefit from mobile optimization. With so many Internet users accessing the web from a phone, tablet or other device, it simply does not make sense for website owners not to take full advantage of this growing market.
The Proof is in the Stats
- Mobile internet users will reach 113.9 million in 2012, up 17.1 percent from 97.3 million in 2011
- In 2012, 94 percent of smartphones users will be mobile Internet users
- Tablet users will reach 54.8 million in 2012, up 62.8 percent from 33.7 million in 2011
Find more stats about mobile Internet users in this HubSpot blog post.
Why develop an expensive app for a single platform when you can cater to a range of devices on the move with a mobile optimized website?
For any questions or inquiries on mobile optimization, email Standing Dog at email@example.com.
See the KISSmetrics infographic below if you need even more reasons to hop on the mobile optimization bandwagon.